Green Building Studio
The Autodesk® Green Building Studio® web-based energy analysis service can help architects and designers perform whole building analysis, optimize energy efficiency, and work toward carbon neutrality earlier in the design process. Based on the DOE-2 calculation engine.
Customers who add subscription to Autodesk Revit can access Green Building Studio for the duration of their subscription.
When to use Green Building Studio
- When you have a detailed energy model that cannot be analyzed easily with Autodesk Vasari.
- Study and easily compare the potential energy savings from alternative building envelopes (materials and features) and mechanical systems.
- Water saving/recovery strategies (rainwater harvesting, greywater systems).
- You’d like to understand the impact of improving lighting efficiency
- Study the potential for alternative power generation through photovoltaics and wind turbines.
- When the HVAC system component and control configurations you’re studying are fairly standard.
- When you’re not heavily relying on a lot of passive design strategies like direct solar gain (via thermal mass) and natural ventilation.
- Calibrate your model to existing building conditions - Upload historical utility information to aid in operations, maintenance, and building performance tracking. When the simulation is run, Green Building Studio will use the actual climate and utility data for the specific period and location.
Sustainable Design Functionality
- Whole building energy analysis - Energy use and carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions, including regional electric grid carbon emissions by fuel type.
- Water Use Analysis - Estimate water use based on building type and number of occupants, and evaluate the effectiveness of alternative measures to reduce water use.
- Renewable Energy Sources - Identify and size options for onsite renewable solar and wind energy sources.
- LEED Daylighting Credits - Calculate each room’s daylighting factor and identify ways to earn LEED daylighting credits.
Revit: Whole Building Energy Analysis
In Revit you can do whole building energy simulations on architectural building information models that include wall, window, floor, and roof constructions that all have unique thermal properties.
The Green Building Studio contains a tool that helps you determine the payback period for photovoltaic panels on your building project. With a little math, you can also calculate PV potential on specific surfaces in Vasari.
Climate Analysis in BIM
BIM tools can be used to access, visualize, and analyze weather data to help you understand your building site’s climate. Autodesk Ecotect, Revit, Vasari, and Green Building Studio each have tools for climate analysis.
Sources of Climate Data
Climate data is the foundation of building performance analysis. It is important to understand the sources of climate data to ensure that your analysis is valid. Autodesk’s climate server, part of the Green Building Studio web service, has a powerful global database.
Ecotect & Vasari: Climate Analysis
Learn how to access climate data and climate visualization tools within Ecotect's Weather Tool, Autodesk Revit, and Autodesk Vasari.
Project Gallery Examples
ReLink: High Performance Building Design Process
This project won third place in the Transformation 2030 student design competition in 2014. The design process is robust and well explained, and led to a compelling, high performing design that would help strengthen the community in the South Bronx.
Energy Efficiency and Aesthetics in Kazakhstan
A Russian student followed a rigorous and iterative process to design and analyze a mixed use conceptual building in Kazakhstan, winning the sustainable design prize in Autodesk’s 2013 global BIM competition.
Messina Schoolhouse: High Efficiency Mediterranean Architecture
This project used analysis throughout the design process to inform design decisions to improve energy use and return a school to the community as a symbol of the Italian village’s identity.
Users of Fusion 360
Designing a Sustainable Future
Autodesk is committed to helping designers and engineers create a future where we all live well and within the limits of our planet. We’re excited to lead the way with sustainable, forward-thinking business practices. Together, let’s design a sustainable future.